Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [tlug] Dell Dimension-C Autopsy - Chemical Spill!
- Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:08:20 +0900
- From: "Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon" <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [tlug] Dell Dimension-C Autopsy - Chemical Spill!
- References: <442A1F15.firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
- Organization: Images Through Glass
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.8) Gecko/20050511
Jim wrote:So *most* of yours *didn't* leak. Okay, that means that *some* of them *did*. How many? Specifics please!!! Related to that - after explaining how I hadn't been meaning to suggest that the brown goo caused the death of the computer, but rather only indicated which capacitor it was coming from, I had a closer look at the board and two things occurred to me.[LHS] one of them [bad cap] leaked a very dark brown goo that flowed about 8cm across the main circuit board - that's probably the detail that stopped the board from functioning.The presence of the goo on the board is likely _not_ what caused the board to fail. The _absence_ of the goo from the inside of the cap is what caused the board to fail. _Most_ of the bad caps I've seen did _not_ leak.1) (Actually, this thought occurred to me *before* I took a second look.) - A *liquid chemical spill* on an *electronic circuit boast* is a *very bad* thing!2) Looking at the path the liquid chemical spill took, it flowed over the legs of one of the boards IC chips! Ouch! Liquid chemicals flowing over IC chip legs... no, I don't think I want to waste my time trying to fix that board!Lyle
- [tlug] Dell Dimension-C Autopsy
- From: Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon
- Re: [tlug] Dell Dimension-C Autopsy: Mo' bulged electrolytic capacitors
- From: Jim
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: [tlug] Dell Dimension-C Autopsy - Specifics!
- Next by Date: [tlug] Palm/Linux connection woes.
- Previous by thread: Re: [tlug] Seeking Information... (Used vs. New)
- Next by thread: [tlug] Palm/Linux connection woes.
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links