Re: [tlug] Dell Dimension-C Autopsy: Mo' bulged electrolytic capacitors

For those who missed the background on bad caps:

   http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Acolug.net+capacitors

"Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon" <ronfaxon@example.com> wrote:

> I disassembled my dead Dell Dimension-C and did an autopsy.

> Capacitors....

Welcome to the club.

> In my old machine (bought new in... 2000....

2000 was right in the thick of the bad cap era.

> one of them [bad cap] leaked a very dark
> brown goo that flowed about 8cm across the main circuit board - that's
> probably the detail that stopped the board from functioning.

The presence of the goo on the board is likely _not_ what caused
the board to fail. The _absence_ of the goo from the inside of the
cap is what caused the board to fail. _Most_ of the bad caps I've
seen did _not_ leak.

> Taking a close look at the underside of the circuit board I see that the
> contact area for the capacitor pins is very small (having been soldered
> by a machine, not human hands)

People can solder those small pads with no difficulty.

> and would require a proper soldering iron
> at a proper temperature, with the proper very narrow tip size and - last
> but not least - steady and careful hands and skillful application of
> heat.

It's less sophisticated than you think. Because the caps are
substantial heat sinks themselves, and because the power planes
are even better heat sinks, one typically uses a hotter than
usual soldering iron but applies it very briefly. With practice,
the application of heat is brief. I usually unsolder both leads
of a bad cap simultaneously.

> The Dell Dimension-C is the second Dell I've had to go suddenly
> dead on me, so I've developed a slight Dell allergy

Keep in mind that many many manufacturers, including
prestigious high-quality ones, suffered from the bad cap problem.
I'm not keen of Dell computers, but I wouldn't pick on Dell much
about this problem, because Dell had much company in this misery.

Jim