Re: [tlug] hello from a new / old member

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 23:03:09 +0900, Evan Monroig <evan.monroig@example.com>
wrote:

> For the records, here are excerpts of the man pages ^^. Except that they
> all say that HUP is useful, I don't find the documentation very
> meaningful to me when trying to understand the difference between
> signals. Should that be filed as a bug?

What a process does in response to a signal depends on the process.

Most of the time, a (SIG)HUP will force a daemon to reread its
configuration. This is the case of, for example, named, sendmail, inetd,
xbindkeys and probably a load more I can't think of right now.

To get chapter and verse on it you need to consult the man page for the
process to which you're going to send the signal - although having said
that, I don't see any mention of it in man sshd....

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@example.com

Drink Canada Dry! You might not succeed but it *is* fun trying.