Re: [tlug] hello from a new / old member

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 21:34:41 +0900, Evan Monroig <evan.monroig@example.com>
wrote:

> I don't know what a HUP signal is, but what I usually do - and what I
> did - is
>
> # /etc/init.d/ssh restart
>
> Is that what you meant?

It's not what I meant, no, but it should do the trick. What it does is to
shut down sshd then restart it. Probably, anyway.

If you find the PID for the main daemon and then `kill -s HUP pid_of_sshd`
you simply give sshd a tap on the shoulder prompting it to reread its
configuration instead of flattening it with a sledgehammer and restarting
it.

See:	man kill
	man killall
	man 7 signal

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@example.com

"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea --
 massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a
 source of mind boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect
 it."
                      -- Gene "spaf" Spafford (1992)