Re: [tlug] hello from a new / old member

Godwin Stewart <godwin.stewart@example.com> writes:

> On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 21:34:41 +0900, Evan Monroig <evan.monroig@example.com>
> wrote:
>
> If you find the PID for the main daemon and then `kill -s HUP pid_of_sshd`
> you simply give sshd a tap on the shoulder prompting it to reread its
> configuration instead of flattening it with a sledgehammer and restarting
> it.

Thanks ! I think I have seen that one or two times before, but I could
not understand. The way I did it was ok with my personal
server/computer, but a HUP signal certainly seems better for a
production server !

> See:	man kill
> 	man killall
> 	man 7 signal

For the records, here are excerpts of the man pages ^^. Except that they
all say that HUP is useful, I don't find the documentation very
meaningful to me when trying to understand the difference between
signals. Should that be filed as a bug?

[man kill]
       Name     Num   Action    Description
       HUP        1   exit
[man killall]
[man 7 signal]
   SIGHUP        1       Term    Hangup detected on controlling terminal
                                 or death of controlling process

However, I found the description in the apache doc [1]:

  Sending the HUP signal to the parent causes it to kill off its
  children like in TERM but the parent doesn't exit. It re-reads its
  configuration files, and re-opens any log files. Then it spawns a new
  set of children and continues serving hits.

Evan

[1] http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/stopping.html