Re: [tlug] Nice kanji fonts for TeX/LaTeX

    Josh> On 23/02/06, Marcus Metzler <mocm@example.com> wrote:
    >> Creating the flash cards is not that hard.

    Josh> No, it is not. :)

    >> Lingua::JP::Kanjidic module for PERL found here
    >> http://search.cpan.org/dist/Lingua-JP-Kanjidic/

    Josh> Yes, I discovered this module last week, and promptly found
    Josh> a bug. I need to submit a patch to the CPAN bug-tracker
    Josh> (hell, maybe I will take over maintaining Simon's module,
    Josh> since he is out of the CPAN world now).

    Josh> Here is how to exercise the bug:

    Josh> use strict; use warnings;

    Josh> use Lingua::JP::Kanjidic ();

    Josh> my $x = Lingua::JP::Kanjidic->new() or die "$0: could not
    Josh> construct new Lingua::JP::Kanjidic object";

    Josh> my $kanji = $x->lookup("学");

I did nit come across that problem, because I only search for Heisig
numbers (which by the way are called Heiseg!!??). But I would like to have
a lookup by any of the numbers given in kanjidic.

There also is an xml version of kanjidic, so that may be an
alternative to using the Lingua-JP-Kanjidic module.

    Josh> This is caused because the L::J::K object's internal
    Josh> {last_sought} member is initialised to 0, not 1, as it
    Josh> should be (since line 0 of the kanjidic file is a comment
    Josh> header). To work around it, I just do this right after
    Josh> constructing the object:

    Josh> $x->{last_sought} = 1;

    Josh> Nasty, but it works. :)

    Josh> I want a little more data on my cards than you have (since I
    Josh> am not using the Heisig method), so I will keep plugging

I started with Heisig to get the principle meaning down, after I had
already forgotten more kanji than I have ever learned :). When I am done
with that, I also want do some vocabulary cards. I also add the Chinese
pronunciation, just in case.

Have you seen the jlpt flash cards at Markus Dreyer`s site?
http://www.coling.de/markus/index.php?content=cards

    Josh> away here. Does anyone have good ideas on how to
    Josh> programmatically acquire the six most common compounds
    Josh> involving a specific kanji?

Have you looked at some of the free (like edict) or commercial (like
eijiro) dictionaries? If they don't have statistical information, they
still will include the most common compounds as a search result for a kanji.
The problem with the cards is the size and the amount of information
you want to cram on them.
The commercial Heisig cards are din a8 (or close to it), so I do a 4x4
grid on a din a4 page, which gives me enough space for the principle
meaning, on, kun and pinyin and the Heisig key words plus some more
space for maybe compounds. The problem is that my printer is not very
exact and won't print on the entire surface so I get a little less
than din a8 and I will also have to cut the pages by hand which will
be a lot of work for a couple of thousand cards.
I could also use those business card papers that the flash card style
is written for, but that gives you only 10 cards per din a4 page in a
different format than din a8, which causes problems with my flash card boxes.

Marcus

| mocm@example.com            | http://www.metzlerbros.de/        |
 |>>>             Quis custodiet ipsos custodes                 <<<|