Re: [tlug] Nice kanji fonts for TeX/LaTeX

On 23/02/06, Marcus Metzler <mocm@example.com> wrote:

> I am using Perl and Latex to make make kanji flashcards from kanjidic using
> Lingua::JP::Kanjidic, the flashcards style and the cjk for LaTeX.
> I use UTF8 as encoding.

Marcus,

I was just starting a project to produce high-quality kanji flashcards
for my JLPT studies. My idea was to output XML and use a stylesheet to
make the flashcards printable from say, Firefox.

If you would consider licensing your flashcards under a Creative
Commons licence[1], I would love to see what you are doing. Also,
consider releasing the Perl code under your favourite Open Source
license.

I will probably use the Firefox platform to generate my cards,
stealing some code from the rikaichan extension[2] (which I have just
finished porting to Thunderbird--details to follow in a day or two).

So I cannot really help you, except to suggest outputting to XML /
XHTML to take advantage of the pretty, anti-aliased, Unicode fonts
that people have these days. :)

Oh yes, and please do consider sharing your flashcards. I have done
some research, and I cannot find high-quality, Free (or even free)
flashcards anywhere on the web. I will remedy this problem myself, but
it will take some time. If you already have a solution that you would
like to share with the world, all the better!

Cheers,
Josh

[1] http://creativecommons.org/
[2] http://www.polarcloud.com/rikaichan/