Re: [tlug] unicode and Perl- how to pass command line unicodearguments

    Josh> I'll take this a step further and say that any programmer
    Josh> who does not examine the top of every source file--at least
    Josh> in a cursory way--deserves a good slapping.

You don't use TAGS very much, do you?  Or work on XEmacs-sized (let
alone kernel-sized) code bases, where there are thousands or tens of
thousands of source files?

I'm sorry, you really shouldn't have to read the top of each and every
file to find out what

    my $string = "ジスイスアペン。";

means.  And for the foreseeable future, it's going to be human nature
to omit steps that one shouldn't have to do until Mother Nature slaps
the perp around a few times.  That would be OK, but typically some
innocent bystanders will be involved, too.

I don't know what to do about this.  Putting "use utf8;" at the top of
all your sources is a reasonable solution, but probably won't go down
well in a lot of shops with gigabytes of French in ISO 8859/1 or
Japanese in Shift JIS.  Etc.  So we need a number of strategies,
adapted to individual circumstance.