Re: [tlug] unicode and Perl- how to pass command line unicodearguments

Ian said:

 >Perl just says 'a string is a string of numbers' ---You still need to
 >decide what's in your variable ----but only when you're doing
something >unusual

I don't think that working with kanji etc is "unusual", that's the
reason I am using computers-- no kanji and I would be back to the
typewriter. (with great great sadness!!)

 >Admittedly, I've never seen anyone pass unicode parameters before, so
 >that's a new problem...

Really! I guess I am a bit odder even than I thought.

BTW, I also see that in perl that a file name (dragged in via @example.com
command line globbing) that has a kanji name has to be explicitly
translated.

I am finally realizing the truth of what you folks have been saying: you
have to tell perl what the variable/data encoding is in each case. I am
so spoiled by GNU emacs/mule-ucs: I really never think about this stuff
at all. Everything inside emacs is its own pre-unicode UCS and
everything outside is translated on the fly to utf8 (or whatever else
you set up, of course.) I really did not realize how good I had it.
(With due respect to Steven T's reservations.)

Thanks,

David Riggs