Re: [tlug] Synaptic 17,316 Packages

Edward Middleton wrote:

>>Although, learning how to use dselect might not be a bad thing but I've found 'apt-get' and 'apt-cache search' to be more efficient once you get enough buzzwords into your personal jargon.
>>

>Agreed apt-{get,cache}are great but I presume if he is asking for a text
>file with package names he doesn't know the buzzwords.
>
>You are probably better to stick with apt-get as Alan suggested and look at
>http://packages.ubuntu.com/ to find package names

The way I've done it with SuSE YAST is to do searches with words like
"text" for text editors and "photo" for photo handling/editing packages....

I spent several hours poking around Ubuntu yesterday, today I need to
get some writing and editing work done, so I'll have to wait for a day
or two to try out suggestions on Ubuntu.  Thank you to everyone for your
helpful suggestions!

Lyle