Re: [tlug] CPU versus drive speed

On 07/02/06, Jim <jep200404@example.com> wrote:

> > I stayed with the 5400 RPM mainly for price considerations, but I
> > seriously doubt my 1.2GHz Centrino can keep up with a 5400 RPM drive,
> > let alone a 7200!
>
> A 1.2GHz Centrino can easily keep up with any speed drive.

Yes, I realise this, but I doubt that the HDD is going to be the
bottleneck on my system, most of the time.

And anyway, remember that the faster the drive spins, the more
revolutions might pass before the head can be moved over the correct
track and sector.

So upping the RPMs of a drive does not translate directly into speed
gains. The bandwidth of the I/O bus is far more important.

-Josh