Re: [tlug] slightly off-topic: what hard drive for a laptop

On 07/02/06, Gunar Schnell <glangsam@example.com> wrote:

> I need some advice as my laptop's HD seems to have gone to Nirvana

Are you sure the drive did not go to Valhalla? ;)

> Does anybody has (good or bad) experiences with such HDs? Does it make sense
> to go to 7200 RPM -- I heard they use more power and thus make battery life
> a bit shorter.

I had a similar experience with my Dell's HDD. I ended up finding a
replacement at the Yokohama Station Sofmap (at Vivre, for TLUG
Yokohama-gumi no memba-tachi): the exact same model I had, used, for
like Y5000!

I stayed with the 5400 RPM mainly for price considerations, but I
seriously doubt my 1.2GHz Centrino can keep up with a 5400 RPM drive,
let alone a 7200! Instead, I picked up another 256MB of RAM, also
chuko! :)

Battery considerations trump all for me in the laptop arena, though,
so take my recommendations with that grain of salt.

Cheers,
Josh