Re: [tlug] First impressions of Gentoo

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> (3) There should be
> an "early install" profile which is -X -Gnome -KDE ... which lasts
> until a signal from the user (possibly implicit, but I'm not familiar
> enough with Gentoo to know what that should be).  Bonus points for a
> plausible way to say +links +equery .... :^)
The problem with having a early emerge profile is that once you have
done your basic install you would have to go back and recompile
everything with +X.
> (4) A web browser,
> preferably a feature-stripped build of links, should be part of the
> initial install.  (If you've got the bonus question right, you don't
> need this.)

This should definitely be part of the install CD, or it should be
available as text or something viewable with less.
> One approach to the bonus question would be to look at Debian's
> virtual system packages (they've got like graphics workstation,
> server, OA-oriented, router, etc), and offer that to the user early.

If you were going to go this way it would probably be better to just
make stage4 tar for newbies that has the system with these
configurations.  This is what I do instead of trying to make a server
profile.  You can waste a lot of time, and add a lot of complexity to
the install process, which will get in the way of experienced users and
be of mild benefit to beginners.  Someone who wants "graphics
workstation" level of granularity should not expect to exercise complete
control over which packages are initially installed.

Edward