Re: [tlug] First impressions of Gentoo

On 27/01/06, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

>     Josh> That is exactly how USE flags work. The only problem is that
>     Josh> the default profile turns the X USE flag on, and you want it
>     Josh> off.
>
> I guess what I'm looking for is a "I've got a Gentoo bootstrap system
> but not yet a fully loaded host, so turn stuff not needed to install
> the system off until further notice" profile.

That is a tough one, and is best accomplished--as noted by Edward and
Stoyan--by adding the -av flags to your emerge command, and then
verifying the dependencies and USE flags by hand. I almost always end
up saying "no" the first time and adjusting the flags a bit, e.g.:

: jglover@example.com; emerge -av sylpheed

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild  N    ] dev-libs/pth-1.4.0  434 kB
[ebuild  N    ] app-crypt/gpgme-1.0.2  814 kB
[ebuild  N    ] mail-client/sylpheed-2.0.4  +crypt -gnome -ipv6 -ldap
+nls -pda +ssl -xface 2,281 kB

Total size of downloads: 3,529 kB

Do you want me to merge these packages? [Yes/No] no

Quitting.

: jglover@example.com; USE='-crypt' sudo emerge -av sylpheed

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild  N    ] mail-client/sylpheed-2.0.4  -crypt -gnome -ipv6 +ldap
+nls -pda +ssl -xface 2,281 kB

Total size of downloads: 2,281 kB

Do you want me to merge these packages? [Yes/No] yes

I have attached a little script I wrote to help with some of the more
obscure USE flags. You use it like so:

: jglover@example.com; use-desc X
X - Adds support for X11

: jglover@example.com; use-desc noflagstrip noaudio nas
media-libs/libsdl:noflagstrip - Allow users to use any CFLAGS they
like completely (at their own risk)
media-libs/libsdl:noaudio - Allow users to disable audio support
completely (at their own risk)
net-libs/openh323:noaudio - Disable audio codecs
nas - Adds support for network audio sound

And it strips '-'s off the flags, so you can just paste in a whole
line of output from emerge -v; to use my Sylpheed example:

: jglover@example.com; use-desc -crypt -gnome -ipv6 +ldap +nls -pda +ssl -xface
crypt - Add support for encryption -- using mcrypt or gpg where applicable
gnome - Adds GNOME support
ipv6 - Adds support for IP version 6
pda - Adds support for portable devices.
xface - Adds xface support used to allow a small image of xface format
to be included in an email via the header 'X-Face'.

> Profiles don't seem to be explained very well in the manual, either.

No, they don't. Another thing that should be filed as a bug. :)

Cheers,
Josh