Re: [tlug] CJK Mixed in a Letter (C&K warning)

    Jim> What do others use for mixing kanji with the similar but
    Jim> different characters of C & K?

XEmacs!  Failing that, a blender.

    Jim> Besides HTML, what do folks use to work around the "Han
    Jim> Unification" problem of Unicode.

It's not a problem, actually.  I have yet to see a text where Japanese
written in a Chinese font is unreadable, and even being confused by a
single character is quite rare.  They simply are not different
characters in 99% of cases; it's almost entirely a font issue.

BTW, I do see such texts all the time, because XEmacs 21.5 assigns
fonts to text character by character, and in POSIX locale for each
character it tries Chinese first, then Japanese, then Korean.  (I'm
not sure why.  I've not investigated because it's scheduled for
demolition.)

I think the consortium's current recommendation is to use explicit
markup (aka fonts) to deal with this.  The Plane 14 language tags are
explicitly deprecated.

    Jim> How often is ISO 2022 used to handle "Han Unification" as
    Jim> hinted by
    Jim> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO-2022#ISO_2022_Character_Sets
    Jim> ?

All Emacsen derived from Mule do.  A few keitei and other embedded
systems (based on the famous Japanese OS whose name I've managed to
temporarily forget) do.  Pretty much nobody else does.