Re: [tlug] Linux Format magazine

Josh Glover wrote:

>I welcome comments and suggestions, and recommend that you make them
>onlist (reply to this thread, please) so that the process can be open.

Josh - I took the liberty of making a few minor changes.  A couple of
points:

There was a conflict with the mention of the first meeting in 1994:
 "1994, the first official TLUG meeting was held. In the next 12 years,
TLUG held meetings every few months (on average)"

- and the later statement: "TLUG holds meetings every month"

And um... some other minor points.  Anyway - here is my version - hope
it's of some use towards the final draft!

Lyle

The Tokyo Linux Users Group grew out of the creative energies of some of
Japan's Internet pioneers. They recognized the significance of Linux,
and on June 16, 1994, TLUG was born as the "LINUX" conference on TWICS
(which was the only public access ISP in Japan at that time). The
atmosphere was exciting and friendly and everyone began helping each
other fix problems and learn about Linux.

In September of 1994, the first official TLUG meeting was held, with
subsequent meetings held every few months. Along the way, we almost set
a Japanese beer-hall on fire, met Eric S. Raymond (a TLUG member who
went on to translate a couple of ESR's essays, including the seminal
"CatB"), Tim O'Reilly, and Jeremy Allison (VA Linux / Samba), drank
countless pitchers, glasses and even cans of beer, and most importantly,
solved lots of interesting problems related to Linux, Unix, and Open
Source / Free Software!

TLUG is one of - if not "the" - foremost English-language sources on
issues relating to the Japanese language on Unix, and is especially
proud to number among its members: the founder of the EDICT project, the
XEmacs Release Manager, a prominent Perl Hacker, a salty NetBSD /
XFree86 hacker, a GNOME hacker, a Gentoo developer, and lots of
knowledgeable people who have a lot of fun playing with Linux!

TLUG holds meetings nearly every month now, alternating between
technical meetings (followed by drinking parties afterwards) and
drinking parties. Membership (like love) doesn't cost a thing, and
everyone is welcome, even if you are not in Tokyo or even Japan--some of
our most active mailing list members live overseas--so stop by
http://tlug.jp anytime!