Re: [tlug] Bittorrent Newbie

Alain Hoang wrote:
>     One of these days, I am going to try libbt or any other C-based
> BitTorrent implementation to see if it's a little bit lighter on the
> memory footprint.  If anyone has used them before or knows of any place that
> has a comparison of memory/CPU usage for different BitTorrent clients
> I'd like to hear about that.

I watched an interesting talk given by Bram Cohen a while back given to
researchers at Stanford.
http://www.torrentocracy.com/blog/archives/2005/02/bram_cohen_unde.shtml

He said that there are a number of empiricaly derived magic numbers
which help to tune his implementation for best performance. I would be
interested in seeing how the other implementations compare. One thing
that popped into my head at the time was that this seems like a good
application for genetic algorithms.

I normally download bittorrents from my always-on headless file server
(VIA Mini-ITX board with two disks in RAID1). So I normally use the
command line. I tried out ctorrent, and it seemed to work fine. But
after listening to the talk, I have been using the "offical" client,
on the assumption that it might behave better.

Jake