[tlug] Re: Unidentified subject!

Hi!

On 18.01.2006, at 05:01, tlug-request@example.com wrote:

> Phone: Sony A5404S  network: AU
>
> I always turn my phone off at night and leave it in the charger.
> On Tuesday morning Sony had done an automatic firmware/software
> upgrade =
> of
> some sort.

are you sure about that? usually stuff like that will wipe all your
saved data. the next thing is that it is usually necessary for a
firmware upgrade that a cell phone won't go out because this could
wipe your telephone (cut off electricity while flashing the phone new).
and if they could - this would be great. no more hazzles if you need
a firmware upgrade. usually you have to backup somehow your data
which isn't usually completely saved on a removable medium thus it
isn't usually possible to back it up completely. then you have to go
to a store who will keep the phone for a day and let you pay (in
Germany) ca. 25 Euro (ca. $28, or 3000 Yen).

> This means that they must have access to the root of my phone as =
> probably do
> all networks.

ehm - i doubt that

> This brings into question the security aspect. How secure is your =
> personal
> data? My guess is
> NOT AT ALL!  Therefore anyone out there with keitai specific
> knowledge =
> that
> wants to write
> A personal phone firewall program?

except for smart phones this will be very hard and i do not think
that it will function with a java-program

> With all the current flack over Sony's roootkit protection on CD's
> they
> probably do not need any more flack. Or do they?

i would first check if it is possible at all

cya

niels