Re: [tlug] TODO extension for source code and Emacs

    Ian> Actually I was hoping for something that understood
    Ian> todo-lists (i.e. allowed you to tick stuff off and add
    Ian> unrelated items) but I think I may be fantasising.

(a) [the helpful answer] Find Sacha Chua (TLUG denizen), this is up
her alley.

(b) [the do-yourself-a-favor-don't-do-that answer] I don't understand
your use case.  Eg, when I want a to-do list as a piece of text, M-x
occur ... C-x o C-x h M-w etc etc does the trick.  However, mostly the
occur buffer *is* the to-do list, and I just change TODO to DONE in
place, then pull all my DONEs together with M-x occur and move them
from in situ to NEWS before the release.

Can you be more specific about what you're trying to do?  Is it just
that you don't leave Emacs running for months at a time, and/or
explicitly kill buffers that are potentially related to current work?
Since I do run Emacs for long periods and don't kill buffers, most of
what's interesting is in a buffer where M-x occur can find it.  This
is faster and more targeted than grep -r.