[tlug] Drastic Subject Changes within a Thread

Godwin wrote:

> I find it difficult to believe that one can go from "ltmodem source code for
> 2.6.x kernels" to "Threaded email readers" without there having been a
> radical change in the message content...

You haven't been watching the threads that I participate in. :-)

Consider the change from:
   Re: [tlug] Nasty Problem: searching for strings that span newlines [1]
to:
   [tlug] Following Threads in Email [2]
by yours truly.

It's OK to have a radical change in the message content in a thread,
as long as the replier is actually replying to _something_ in (or about)
that which they are replying to.

If Ian had started a new thread, it would have broken the reference
to what he was taking exception to. His continuation of the thread
was appropriate. My changing the subject was also appropriate.

[1] http://www.tlug.jp/ML/0601/msg00144.html
[2] http://www.tlug.jp/ML/0601/msg00148.html

Minor stuff beside the point:

In [1], Ian should have quoted _something_, particularly my subject,
and Ian should have changed the subject himself, but understandably
did not because he thought it wrong to do so (which was his point!).