Re: [tlug] CentOS and Japanese-Revisited-2nd Attempt

Scott Robbins wrote:

>The next step would be to type in any terminal
>
>export XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2"
>export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
>kinput2 -canna &
>
>Hopefully, you get back a pid number saying it's running.

[coolrabbit@example.com ~]$ export XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2"
[coolrabbit@example.com ~]$ export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
[coolrabbit@example.com ~]$ kinput2 -canna &
[1] 4167

>Then, from that same terminal, try launching a uxterm and seeing if you
>can input Japanese with shift+space to invoke kinput2.

success in uxterm

>If that works, again from the same terminal, or from the uxterm [1] try
>launching thunderbird and seeing if you can input Japanese.  If this
>works, then it means that the kinput2 -canna combo are working for you.

no go running t/bird from either uxterm or the original terminal

>I'm assuming you tried yum search scim-anthy.  As I've said the last
>person with a CentOS problem got it working by installing with yum.

nothing with yum, although, could be my lack of repos..will research
that tomorrow some more.

>The problem you mention, only having something like raw code is a
>problem I ran into with one of my experiments--it needs to give the
>option for Japanese=> Anthy.
>
>I don't have the knowledge to try to figure out why this is, but
>apparently, as I think I wrote last night, some of these distributions
>with their own package managers just don't do well on things installed
>from source without more tweaking than one would expect.
>

>Or, of course, your other option is to switch to Gentoo, as you were
>thinking--perhaps this is an omen.  :)

oooooh, scary stuff...yes, am leaning towards giving Gentoo a run, but,
would like to try and solve this. Cheers.

Mark Sargent.