Re: [tlug] CentOS and Japanese-Revisited-2nd Attempt

On Fri, Dec 30, 2005 at 03:15:17PM +0900, Mark Sargent wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> 1stly, I hope I'm not breaking a rule, by starting a fresh thread. If so,
> sorry, and won't do it again(I hope).

I think it's fine in this case, just snip my reply.  <ducks and runs>

I have just installed anthy, scim, and
> scim-anthy, this time, using --prefix=/usr/local, as to /usr only, with the 1st
> attempt, and have had some limited success. I can now get the pop up widget,
> but, I get no hiragana displayed when typing in romaji(my widget looks
> different than the one you displayed on your site for me, Scott). I am closer
> than what I was last time, but, seems something is still amiss. Below is what I
> have found,

I've snipped the information below, which I probably shouldn't, but I'm
going to go into a rant.

Short answer, use kinput2 and canna.

Long answer.

This week, on vacation, I tried several distros and found most of them
annoyed me.  :)

I found that most of the Fedora and Debian based distros don't seem to
like you installing from source.  Most of them don't include the various
tools in an installation, that is a default install of Ubuntu or Blag (a
Fedora offshoot) don't include gcc, binutils, etc.

I ~did~ find, however, (and I think this was echoed by that thread way
back, where someone else was having trouble with CentOS) that if the O/S
had the Fedora respositories where yum or apt-get would find the three
programs, that they worked well.

So, I think, if you like CentOS enough to stick with it (you did mention
that you were thinking of switching to Gentoo) that the best solution
might be to use yum to install these packages.  I haven't played with
the newer Fedora offshoots enough to give you the simple answer, but I
believe you can add the various Fedora repositories to /etc/yum.reposd
or whatever it's called.

Slackware based distros, such as ZenWalk and Vector, seem to do better
with packages installed from source.
Arch has packages that work perfectly, that is, when opening
any application that supports UTF-8, whether it's a terminal,
firefox, abiword or openoffice, hitting ctl+space brings
up the widget and you can input Japanese.  (Though if the
LC_CTYPE is en_US.UTF-8, the widget shows English by default, and
you have to change it to Japanese=>anthy).

Josh mentioned in a private email that he was having issues with
scim-anthy and OpenOffice in Fluxbox, though not in KDE.

So, I've found, that although people who like an O/S enough to keep
researching have success with these Deb and RH offshoots, (and Mark, one
of them was using CentOS, however, he installed with yum) the easiest
ones seem to be Arch and Vector.

As kinput2 and canna are fairly old standbys, they should be available
with yum.   They should almost certainly work for you.  (I think you
mentioned that canna is installed already.)

Another issue could be the gnome terminal and UTF-8.  Does it definitely
display unicode?   (You could try with the eucJP as well, and see if you
have any better luck.)

At any rate, I'm irked at all these distros that install hundreds of
packages I don't need, but don't install gcc.

Ok, rant is over, not that it's helped solve your problem, but ~I~ feel
better.

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

 Buffy: It was exactly you, Will. Every detail. Except for your not
 being a dominatrix... as far as we know.
 Willow: Oh, right, me and Oz play Mistress of Pain every night.
 Xander: Did anyone else just go to a scary visual place?
 Buffy: Oh, yeah.
 Giles: (raises glasses)