Re: [tlug] Kubuntu v5.10

Lyle > In the install, it prompts you for a user name and a password - and
Lyle > that's it!  No root!  So I assume it's got the user running as root
Lyle  > all the time!  Yikes!  Easier for users to use and easier for
Lyle  > outsiders to abuse!  I'm sure there's a way to fix that - is it
Lyle  > involved or fairly straightforward?

The first account you created during the install is a sudoer user. So
anytime you are prompted for the root password use the password you set.
To change the root password (the real root and you should).

open a console (shell) prompt and do the following.

# sudo passwd root <enter>

you will be prompted for a password. This is your password.

Now you will be prompted for a new root password. follow the directions
on the screen. Make sure you use a strong password...for the love of
god...PLEASE a strong one.

Lyle > The other thing is that I've gotten used to the file navigation of
Lyle > Konqueror (with SuSE) and was unable to find a way of navigating the
Lyle > files with Kubuntu.  How are the files navigated?  What command
brings
Lyle > up something like File Manager?

Don't quite understand. What folders are you seeing on the desktop?