Re: [tlug] Subversion (was: More Tech Meeting Torrents)

On 11/28/05, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
On 11/27/05, Ian Wells <ijw@example.com> wrote:
I really don't find it a big deal to run 'svn log --stop-on-copy .' in
the branch before merging. I would have to try svnmerge out to see its
utility, I guess.

This isn't *quite* what you could do with CVS.  This wouldn't work with branching a branch and merging the new branch with the trunk, for instance.  It's not spotting the common ancestor, it's assuming that the last 'copy' is the common ancestor, which is wrong.  CVS, of course, is renowned for not working with multiple interbranch merges, so to expect svn to do that would be asking more than it ever promised.

In short: cvs update -j <branch> is very, very easy, and in most cases it just works.  svn is more difficult.

>  Apart from that, I notice you mentioned hook scripts.  I was trying to set
> one up the other week to reject commits where CR line endings had crept in
> to files.

Since my website is down, here is my pre-commit hook script, which
does this (amongst other things):
http://www.tlug.jp/meetings/2005/11/precomit.pl
(Be sure to name it 'pre-commit' before putting it in the hooks
subdirectory of your repository.)

> This was intended as a partial fix to the problem I mentioned earlier (that is, that you can't
> specify diff options to ignore whitespace on the svn diff command line).

Did you not read my post where I told you how to pass diff options on
the command line? Did it not work, or did you not try it?

Don't recall seeing it. I don't appear to have received anything on that topic at all after checking my archives.  Google might have been a bit spamhappy.

> I suspect my problem was that the server is running Windows - the script I wrote didn't
> seem to be executing at all, no matter what I tried.  Don't suppose you have any
> suggestions, other than the one that goes hand in hand with why this is
> completely off topic for this list? ;-)

Hrm. Is it called 'hooks/pre-commit' under your repository? Is the
exec bit (or the Windows) equivalent set?

Yep, and there's no Windows equivalent - I wrote a wrapping batch script, which is executable.

Can't remember how far I got before I decided that the time was outweighing the usefulness.  Not very, I suspect.