Re: [tlug] Subversion (was: More Tech Meeting Torrents)

On 11/27/05, Ian Wells <ijw@example.com> wrote:

>  I skimmed a bit of the subversion presentation and discovered you skipped
> the whole merging bit.

Yes, but it is in my slides:
http://www.tlug.jp/meetings/2005/11/introduction-to-svn.pdf

> So, I've got a question: is there any way of doing history-sensitive merges, or has that bit
> of CVS's functionality fallen by the wayside?

Please give me an example of exactly what you mean.

>  Everyone else (arch, darcs etc.) seems to be going in for merge
> simplification in a big way, it surprises me that svn needs you to find your
> ancestral split point by hand - and it still needs you to mention where
> you're merging from in the comment if you want to find the log of the branch
> that you're merging in from.  Although I did find
> http://www.dellroad.org/svnmerge/index which would probably
> improve matters.

I really don't find it a big deal to run 'svn log --stop-on-copy .' in
the branch before merging. I would have to try svnmerge out to see its
utility, I guess.

>  Apart from that, I notice you mentioned hook scripts.  I was trying to set
> one up the other week to reject commits where CR line endings had crept in
> to files.

Since my website is down, here is my pre-commit hook script, which
does this (amongst other things):
http://www.tlug.jp/meetings/2005/11/precomit.pl
(Be sure to name it 'pre-commit' before putting it in the hooks
subdirectory of your repository.)

> This was intended as a partial fix to the problem I mentioned earlier (that is, that you can't
> specify diff options to ignore whitespace on the svn diff command line).

Did you not read my post where I told you how to pass diff options on
the command line? Did it not work, or did you not try it?

> I suspect my problem was that the server is running Windows - the script I wrote didn't
> seem to be executing at all, no matter what I tried.  Don't suppose you have any
> suggestions, other than the one that goes hand in hand with why this is
> completely off topic for this list? ;-)

Hrm. Is it called 'hooks/pre-commit' under your repository? Is the
exec bit (or the Windows) equivalent set? Drop a very simple
pre-commit in there (maybe a batch file) that simply echoes something
to a file, so you can make sure it is getting executed.

That is where I would start. Moving your Subversion setup to a Unix
server would be an even better solution! ;)

>  Would've had a peek at your website, but it seems to be down...

Yeah, I noticed that too. A friend of mine back in the States hosts it
for me, so I have no control over Apache. I will shoot him a note.

Cheers,
Josh