Re: [tlug] OT - what is yikes

On 11/28/05, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon <ronfaxon@example.com> wrote:
- then it gives a slew of definitions, such as:

Interjection: yikes

1. Used to express surprise
   - crikey [Brit], cor [Brit], crumbs [Brit], gosh, golly, by George,
by Jove, blimey [Brit], gorblimey [Brit], cor blimey [Brit], my, holy
cow, holy smoke, fancy [Brit], goodness, goodness me, Gordon Bennett,
gracious, gracious me, fancy that, god, my word, oh, O, ah, oh boy,
jeez, geez, strewth [Brit], struth [Brit], I'll be blowed [Brit], blow
me [Brit], Holy-dooly [Austral], heck, blooming heck [Brit], jeepers,
jeepers creepers

Hmm... only "Brit" and "Austral" in there.  I wonder why, I know for a
fact that it's also in the US.......

'Strewth' is very Aussie as far as we're concerned, and most of the rest sound like they've fallen out of Mary Poppins.  Although one or two are giving me fond memories of Dangermouse: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dangermouse, http://www.dangermouse.org/sounds/crumbs.wav (apologies if it never travelled)