Re: [tlug] OT - what is yikes

On Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:56:31 +0900, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com> wrote:

>     Josh> If you are looking for exciting words in English, Michal, I
>     Josh> also like "yowsa!" It can be used interchangeably with
>     Josh> "yikes!". :)
>
> Not in my dialect.  "Yowsa!" is pretty close to the Japanese "yatta!"
> (Which is almost an acronym for "You asked for it, you got it ---
> Toyota!", which means much the same thing.)

Where I come from, one might use them like this:

Situation: Monica Bellucci is walking toward you in a bikini and
smiling at you.
Reaction: Yowsa!

Situation: Arnold Schwartzeneger is walking toward you in a bikini and
smiling at you.
Reaction: Yikes!

Depending on your personal preferences, these could be reversed, but
you get the general drift, no?

HTH,
Dave