Re: [tlug] OT - what is yikes

Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:

David E wrote:

Where I come from, one might use them like this:

Situation: Monica Bellucci is walking toward you in a bikini and
smiling at you. Reaction: Yowsa!

Situation: Arnold Schwartzeneger is walking toward you in a bikini and
smiling at you.
Reaction: Yikes!

Depending on your personal preferences, these could be reversed, but
you get the general drift, no?
Excellent!  I agree and quite enjoyed reading that!  By the way,
regarding a search on Google, if you use English language Google and
type in:
yikes : definition

- then it gives a slew of definitions, such as:

Interjection: yikes

1. Used to express surprise
- crikey [Brit], cor [Brit], crumbs [Brit], gosh, golly, by George, by Jove, blimey [Brit], gorblimey [Brit], cor blimey [Brit], my, holy cow, holy smoke, fancy [Brit], goodness, goodness me, Gordon Bennett, gracious, gracious me, fancy that, god, my word, oh, O, ah, oh boy, jeez, geez, strewth [Brit], struth [Brit], I'll be blowed [Brit], blow me [Brit], Holy-dooly [Austral], heck, blooming heck [Brit], jeepers, jeepers creepers

Hmm... only "Brit" and "Austral" in there. I wonder why, I know for a fact that it's also in the US.......

Lyle

Hi All,

Lyle, I think you'll find that the ones that aren't highlighted with the related country, are either general, or US specific(I'M guessing US). Cheers.

Mark Sargent.