Re: [tlug] Connecting Conductors

Jim wrote:

[LHS] As a conductor that needs to conduct through physically touching another separate material (as opposed to internal conduction), wouldn't the oxidation of silver be an issue?

Oxidation is an issue for most conductive metals and there are plenty of solutions to cope with oxidation in electrical connections such as mechanical cleaning, fluxes, filling gap with corrosion inhibitor, soldering, welding, crimping or plating with omething that doesn't tarnish. Silver tarnish isn't hard to deal with. Aluminum oxide is _nasty_. Even so, the joints in electrical transmission lines are fused with high pressure crimps. I.e., just brute strength. [Etc.]

Thank for taking the time to explain. I do feel humbled and about three inches tall (seriously - for how I feel that is - not the actual height). As for my mistaken belief about gold, you're probably right - I must have remembered it wrong. I hope I did, because my electronics teacher I still have a great deal of respect for, so I hope he wasn't wrong. But he was also one of the autoshop teachers with a strong streak of mechanic in him, so I think (hope, imagine?) that the issue at the time was one of mechanically laying one conductor upon another and then I suppose gold provides a good surface for a good connection? I know I recently had trouble with my old DVD player that began paying only in black and white. I pulled out the video connection (S-type) and plugged it in and out a few times to clean the contacts, which fixed the black and white playback issue and it's been playing in color since then. The cord is a cheap one with pins that have oxidized. The gold coated plugs I have seem to stay in perpetually good condition, which reinforced my gold belief. Now, <sniff>, I'll never be able to look at gold the same... <sniff-sniff>.

Thanks again for the enlightenment,

Lyle