Re: [tlug] Japanese Encoding - which one?

Edward Middleton wrote:

[LHS] I was using Netscape 4.0 on W and Mozilla 1.7x on Linux. I'll try the software you mentioned and I also tried making a test page with OpenOffice (2.0) which seemed to fix the problem. Between Bluefish and vim though, which is better for pages with half text and half photos?
Sorry don't have time to go into details but the mozilla version you are
using under linux will do utf8.  You just need to set the encoding.  If
you change the encoding in the metadata before loading then the encoded
characters will be converted to utf-8.  You will need to make some
trivial change in order to save it.

Thanks. One quick question - does switching over to UTF-8 affect the fonts used for the English pages? I'm wondering if I should edit the English-only pages with the old settings and change the settings to UTF-8 for Japanese and then back again depending on whether I'm making a page in English or Japanese..... At one point yesterday, I tried going to UTF-8, and my old computer (P-III 450) took about four minutes to make the switch - with much working of the hard drive (a first-time issue not to be repeated the second time around I presume). The pages made with the old Netscape software turned to junk, but not the newer page - although it was still not displaying the Page Source. Going back to the old setting was no problem.

Wait a minute... make that two questions! With the profile I use for making pages, now I have this:

1) When on this page:
http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~LLLtrs/
- the setting indicated is UTF-8

2) When on this page:
http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~LLLtrs/i_i_v/iiv.html
- the setting indicated is Western ISO-8859-1

3) When on this page:
http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~LLLtrs/i_i_v/jpage/jg01.html
- the setting indicated is Shift_JIS

Um.... oh boy.... I think I remember. The first page was made with OpenOffice, the second with Mozilla 1.x and the third with Netscape 4.x. What a mess! Okay - never mind the question - from the appearance of page #1, I don't think there's any font issue. UTF-8 it is. I should have paid more attention to previous discussions of UTF-8... it was in the back of my mind but I didn't realize what a problem the other formats were. Standards... methinks too much effort is expended towards making people competitive (undo-kai, etc.) and not enough towards developing common standards (DVD, etc.) that benefit all.....

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and tips. I'll save this batch as a reference text file and start experimenting with the text editors. For the next few Japanese language pages at least, I'll use either Mozilla or OpenOffice.

Thanks again,

Lyle