[tlug] Japanese Encoding - which one?

I'm having trouble creating Japanese pages for my site - while I can post them in Japanese and they display in Japanese, when looking at the Page Source, it shows only computer code and no recognizable language. I wouldn't care so long as the Japanese of the page is displaying, but since the Page Source is garbage, none of the Japanese text is readable by search engines, which is a problem. Yes - there is practically no text on the link I'm putting here for an example:
http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~LLLtrs/i_i_v/jpage/f1/TokyoMtrShwJ01.html

- but there is a little and the page name and whatnot is all garbage in Page Source. I have some other pages posted which do have readable Japanese text (even in Page Source), linked from this page:
http://www5d.biglobe.ne.jp/~LLLtrs/i_i_v/jpage/jg01.html

- but they were created with a bloody MicroMuck box with Netscape 4.0. I need to put together Japanese pages with Linux. How can I get Japanese text on the page that will be recognizable to the Internet as Japanese and not computer code garbage?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Lyle