Re: [tlug] how do I rotate monitor image?

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Matt> mode. Most of the commonly used modes--up to 1600x1200, I
>     Matt> believe--are VESA standard modes, and thus have built-in
>     Matt> support in the X server. AFAIK 1024x1280 is not among those
>     Matt> modes, and if you want to use a non-standard mode, you need
>     Matt> a modeline defined in the X config file. Since you
>     Matt> apparently don't have that, the server is making a choice
>     Matt> for you out of the modes it knows about--and its choice just
>     Matt> happens to be the same as what you were using already, so it
>     Matt> appears that nothing has changed.
>
> (It would be nice if wileyc would butt in here.)

Indeed.

> I don't think that
> is true.  This really ought to be as simple as switching from
> 1280x1024 to 1024x1280 in the config file.

Yes, if 1024x1280 were a known mode.

> Modern graphics cards have a protocol to tell the server what they
> support I believe, and the monitor tells the card what _it_ supports.

But do X servers understand that protocol?

> Recent XF86 and Xorg servers allege not to need modelines at all most
> of the time.

Right, most of the time. Actually, I checked the manual page before
posting ... now it could be that my man page doesn't correspond to
Michal's X installation, since I have x.org and he has XF86. Also, I
didn't read it in depth, and it's been years since I had to manually
tweak monitor modes, so I could well be wrong, but what I think it said
was that VESA standard modes are built in, and others have to be set up
manually. That usually works because most people use VESA standard modes
most of the time.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA