Re: [tlug] how do I rotate monitor image?

Michal Hajek wrote:

> I have Eizo FlexScan L568 monitor [1] which is capable of rotating the
> screen to be a portrait or landscape.

Nice. Wouldn't mind having one a' them meself.

> So far I did not use this feature, but now I would like to give it a
> try. Unfortunately I have no idea, how to accomplish this task. I have tried to
> changed my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file such that:

I trust you have ensured this is the correct configuration file ...

> SubSection "Display"
>   Depth     24
>   Modes "1024x1280"

... and that this is the first active "Display" SubSection in the active
"Screen" section ...

Assuming those basics are covered, I suspect what's going on is that
"1024x1280" doesn't refer to a known graphics mode. Most of the commonly
used modes--up to 1600x1200, I believe--are VESA standard modes, and
thus have built-in support in the X server. AFAIK 1024x1280 is not among
those modes, and if you want to use a non-standard mode, you need a
modeline defined in the X config file. Since you apparently don't have
that, the server is making a choice for you out of the modes it knows
about--and its choice just happens to be the same as what you were using
already, so it appears that nothing has changed.

So, how do you define a modeline for 1024x1280? Heh-heh ... if you're
lucky, someone has done this before, and Googling for "flexscan l568
modeline" should reveal how. If not ... there was a time when I had to
calculate my own modeline, and I found a Web page that explained exactly
how to do it. But that was at least 6 years ago, pre-Google,
pre-a-lot-of-things, so I couldn't tell you where to find it. But if you
can't find the info on the Web, you might be able to find it somewhere
in that multi-volume X programming guide that's around here & there
(published by O'Reilly, I think ... can't remember the exact title).

> My idea being just to switch resolution X<->Y.

Hmm ... the proper modeline should take care of the resolution, but of
course it's not just that, is it? The image also has to be rotated WRT
to the screen. Is there something built into the monitor hardware that
handles that, or do they expect you to use a proprietary driver? If it's
the latter, you may be SOL.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA