Re: [tlug] how do I rotate monitor image?

    Matt> Assuming those basics are covered, I suspect what's going on
    Matt> is that "1024x1280" doesn't refer to a known graphics

You can confirm this by looking in the log, or by telinit'ing to
console mode and starting the X server by hand (eg, with startx).
On Debian the log is /var/log/XFree86.0 IIRC.

    Matt> mode. Most of the commonly used modes--up to 1600x1200, I
    Matt> believe--are VESA standard modes, and thus have built-in
    Matt> support in the X server. AFAIK 1024x1280 is not among those
    Matt> modes, and if you want to use a non-standard mode, you need
    Matt> a modeline defined in the X config file. Since you
    Matt> apparently don't have that, the server is making a choice
    Matt> for you out of the modes it knows about--and its choice just
    Matt> happens to be the same as what you were using already, so it
    Matt> appears that nothing has changed.

(It would be nice if wileyc would butt in here.)  I don't think that
is true.  This really ought to be as simple as switching from
1280x1024 to 1024x1280 in the config file.

Modern graphics cards have a protocol to tell the server what they
support I believe, and the monitor tells the card what _it_ supports.
Recent XF86 and Xorg servers allege not to need modelines at all most
of the time.

    Matt> The image also has to be rotated WRT to the screen. Is there
    Matt> something built into the monitor hardware that handles that,

It ought to be as simple as putting a switch on the horizontal and
vertical wires to change roles.  If this isn't in hardware, somebody
blew it.  Cf SL-Cxxxx Zaurii.