Re: [tlug] Free program translates Euro languages to/from English

Shawn wrote:

I would expect that Japanese and Korean would be much much more difficult, since their grammars are just so completely different.

It's not just the grammar but the writer's style.

Japanese people working at multinationals often comment to me that when
they translate to English using software (not necessarily the linux
desktop you mentioned but...), it works best when they look at the
garbled English and then correct their Japanese and re-translate via
software again.

Uuuu..... well.... that goes both ways!  I sometimes edit what I write
to Japanese speakers when I imagine how they will mentally (or
otherwise) translate what I've written into Japanese.  I don't think
it's really a matter of clarity in the original language, but rather
anticipating how it will be translated.  I've taken perfectly clear
sentences in English that would confuse no native (or advanced)
speaker/reader/writer of English and made them more mundane (I maintain
that mundane is not the same as clear - sometimes it's the opposite!) to
make sure there is no misunderstanding.  While writing for the
translation can minimize gross misunderstandings, it also prevents any
deep level of communication.....

Lyle