Re: [tlug] Rejuvenating Dead Hard Drives by Freezing Them

Jim wrote:

I don't know why it works, but I can imagine to ways: 1. Generally, most semiconductors work better at cooler temperatures, so that when something has become marginal, the cold brings it back over a threshold. 2. Mechanical stuff. I recall hearing that dying bearings worked better when cold, but this doesn't make sense since lubricants typically become more vicous and harder to move when cold. The resistance of the motor windings would also decrease, allowing the motor to produce more useful power instead of heat. I don't know that the extra motor power would over come the extra friction from cold lubricants.

3. Parts expand and contract with temperature changes. Freezing would make some parts marginally smaller, so if it were a mechanical problem of something sticking, the slight downsizing through shrinking could free something up.... Naturally that wouldn't last long back in the computer, where heat would expand it again, but it could last long enough to grab some data.....

Lyle