Re: [tlug] Rejuvenating Dead Hard Drives

David Bennett wrote:

> A slight change of subject, but what about those hard drives that just
> don't power on anymore? I turned on my computer yesterday to actually
> hear what I would imagine was the sound of a hard drive dying.
>
> No sector or data errors, it just doesn't seem to be getting power.
> Are these easily fixable? Should I take it back to the store, or is
> this something I can do myself?

After trying the hard drive in another computer as Cooper mentioned,
if it still doesn't work and data recovery is not an issue
and you have a warranty, then by all means return the sucker.

If you want to recover data one last time, you can try freezing it.
Sometimes, it will rejuvenate a dying drive long enough to read it
one last time before it is completely dead.