Re: [tlug] Is Prime PC a good enough place to buy a PC

    Dave> Keep in mind that this is based completely on a
    Dave> non-technical, purely subjective feeling, not something I
    Dave> would be able to measure.

Sure.  But that's really what matters, unless you're diligent enough
to keep metrics on your work habits.  Even then, I'd trust the
subjective feeling over the metrics.

    Dave> But for what I do, I can't seem to assess what is the
    Dave> minimum standard for decent performance that is likely to
    Dave> last for the next two or three years.

If you're working with Windows, I'd say get as much memory and the
fastest disks you can afford.  Give up beer for 4-6 weeks, it's that
serious.  You'll probably extend the life of the hardware by 6-12
months, and it's a quantum leap (Windows performance degrades with a
"watch that first step, it's a doozy"; Mac is just as bad in my
experience, and even a 0.5MB "security upgrade" has had a noticeable
adverse effect).

Free *nices' performance degrades much more gracefully over time.
Yes, you can take a _big_ hit for a quick security fix, just like with
Windows and the Mac, but that is _exactly_ the kind of problem that
open source software is not just unbeatable at solving ... it's the
only player in the stadium.

Good luck, and enjoy your new friend/toy/...!