Re: [tlug] [tlug-digest] OT (sorta) A Langauge Question

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 11:22:34AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Edward> Don't know that one... I'll have to check it out. I've
>     Edward> been quite happy with the Kodansha "Furigana
>     Edward> English-Japanese Dictionary" and
>
> If you've got one, you don't need others, but a comparative review
> would certainly be welcome.

If I get the time.... somewhat doubtful at the moment.

> One thing about Kenkyusha's Furigana E-J is that it seems to have been
> thoroughly reviewed for accuracy and updated idiom; it's the most
> accurate E-J I've seen,

But it does sound worth a look.

>     Edward> companion "Furigana Japanese-English Dictionary".
>
> I didn't know such a thing existed!  How is that useful?  For
> comparing Japanese phrases given as examples?

There are a LOT of Japanese words I don't know. I have to look them
up much more often than I need to look up Japanese equivalents of
English words. (I can usually come up with some Japanese that conveys
my intended meaning, even if it's not the best choice.)

Ed