Re: [tlug] [tlug-digest] OT (sorta) A Langauge Question

    Edward> Don't know that one... I'll have to check it out. I've
    Edward> been quite happy with the Kodansha "Furigana
    Edward> English-Japanese Dictionary" and

If you've got one, you don't need others, but a comparative review
would certainly be welcome.

One thing about Kenkyusha's Furigana E-J is that it seems to have been
thoroughly reviewed for accuracy and updated idiom; it's the most
accurate E-J I've seen, although coverage is limited compared to the
Shogakukan/Random House dictionary I have.

    Edward> companion "Furigana Japanese-English Dictionary".

I didn't know such a thing existed!  How is that useful?  For
comparing Japanese phrases given as examples?

    Edward> The Genius (ジーニアス) E/J and J/E dictionaries seem to
    Edward> be included in many electronic dictionaries. They
    Edward> suck. Try to get something else.

Yeah, those are the ones used in the Zaurus SL-C3000.  They aren't
good, I'll admit, but they suffice for the purpose, and combined with
handwritten input you simply can't beat kanji lookup speed.  In fact,
I have even successfully traced illegible kanji and gotten a plausible
reading (which doesn't always look very much like the handwritten
version I copied from!)  This requires fairly good sense of stroke
order, of course, but that's exactly what the "te-gaki" input trains
you it (it's not static OCR, it's dynamic---order and direction matter).