Re: [tlug] SuSE 9.1 - 9.3 Upgrade Saga

The SuSE 9.3 that i ordered finally arrived the other day and i
installed it on my computer at work:
Fujitsu FMV-6700 TX4
Pentium III
256 MB

It works pretty well.  I am especially impressed with Anthy, the
kana-kanji conversion software.  (When i click on the little box that
pops up with "Anthy" on it, i see one other icon, with UIM.  It looks
like there are different versions of Anthy and UIM that can be used.  I
don't see anything with WNN on it.  Does that mean that WNN is not
installed?)  It seems to work as well as Atok, the one i paid for last
year.  Amazing to me that volunteers produced something of such high
quality.  I mean, Linux/GNU and the whole open source movement is
amazing to me--the level of dedication and all--but even i can see that
a lot of work must have gone into something like Anthy.

My mouse works fine, the floppy drive works, keyboard works, and the
screen works okay (so it sounds like i got lucky), but it has a problem:
One third of the screen is black.  The text and graphics that are
supposed to be on the right side have obviously shifted over 2 inches to
the right so that i can't see what's on the right side.  This is easily
solved by dragging windows over a little to the left, but my screen is a
little narrower than it could be.  That's the first problem i'd like to
fix.  I sent a question to SuSE and am waiting for an answer.

My printer doesn't work, which doesn't surprise or bother me much.  It's
a 2 year old, very nice Epson lazer printer, but i read at the SuSE site
that it's not supported yet.  I tried installing another printer driver
on the SuSE computer that looked similar, but then i had printing
problems on a separate Windows computer.  I erased the driver from that
computer and re-installed the driver, and that problem was fixed.  But
since the floppy drive works and most of my work will be text files
anyway, it's not a problem to save files to a floppy and transfer them
over to my Mac to print out.

I am slightly disappointed with how switching between applications,
saving files, and other routine things goes more slowly than in Mandrake
10.  I didn't expect it to be this slugglish.  I wonder if increasing
the memory would significantly increase speed?

I got a message at one point with this info:
Graphics cards
ATI Rage
Fujitsu VL-15405 (1024 X 768 @ 16bit)
3D accelleration disabled

Does "3D accelleration disabled" mean that it's going to be more
sluggish than it should be?

I am reading the other posts here about others' experiences with SuSE
with interest, and have learned a thing or two from them.  I appreciate
everyone's sharing this kind of info.

Joe