Re: [tlug] Linux-101

Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:

> Another stupid question from Lyle:
>
> How do I mount my CD-ROM?  I've always been able to just access it,
> but now I'm drawing a blank (nothing happens via File Explorer, etc. -
> I click on CD-ROM and... nothing) and when I try to access a disk with
> K3B, I get this error message:
>
> Could not mount device.
> The reported error was:
> mount: only root can mount /dev/cdrom on /media/cdrom

That seems to have sorted itself out somewhat after I got it going under
root.  I still have to (when accessing the CD-ROM as user) get past this
choice however:

Select a CDDB entry:
Gunkl, Grundsatzliche Betrachtungen, Alt.Rock
Gunkl, Grundsatzliche Betrachtungen, Cabaret

Does anyone know what that... German(?) means?

I think the problems I experienced after updating (not experienced on
the last few boot-ups, BTW) may have been (probably were) caused by my
mistakenly not allowing the system to fully sort itself out on the first
reboot as root before rebooting into user.  A warning to anyone doing an
upgrade install of SuSE 9.3 (same with other distros?) - if you're using
an older machine as I am (P-III, 450MHz), then allow a lot of time to do
the upgrade, and allow a good ten to fifteen minutes for the machine to
settle itself out when you first reboot as root.

Lyle