Re: [tlug] Linux-101

Botond Botyanszki wrote:

>On Thu, 19 May 2005 23:27:17 +0900
>Mark Sargent <powderkeg@example.com> wrote:
>

>>If you are running k3b as non-root, it will have problems with the
>>mount...a way to fix it, is, either run it as root, or temporarily
>>give  write access to all for /dev/hd(number of yr cdrom
>>block)...example,  chmod 777 /dev/hd1..not too secure, though...
>>

>If the distribution is smart enough, it will use groups. My cdrom device
>(hdc) is owned by root.cdrom has group rw access and my user belongs to
>the cdrom group.
>
>Just in case there are more people for that disk...

I'll be experimenting more, but in reading over the different posts on
this issue yesterday, it occurred to me that since upgrading from SuSE
9.1 to 9.3, I'd only run Root once, and at the time, it looked as though
some things were missing.  Being in a rush at the time, I signed off and
the next time I signed on was as user.....
     So, I tried "Switch User", and then "Lock Current & Start New
Session", logged in as root (which took about 10 minutes to fully come
up), tried the CD-ROM - no problem; tried the floppy - no problem; then
I went over to user (Ctrl+Alt+F7 for user, Ctrl+Alt+F8 for root) and
they both worked fine as well.  So, I shut down the computer and tried
rebooting into user.
     The result?  CD-ROM works now, but I have to get past the following
German first:

Select a CDDB entry:
Gunkl, Grundsatzliche Betrachtungen, Alt.Rock
Gunkl, Grundsatzliche Betrachtungen, Cabaret

I have no idea what that is, but the first of the two is highlighted to
start with, so I go with that.
     The floppy still doesn't work from "My Computer", but it's easy
enough to access it via Konqueror, so that's not important.
     So, everything's happy-happy almost?  Not quite.  On the next
reboot, the mouse was dead again, so I plugged an extra USB mouse in to
have mouse function restored.  On the next reboot, the mouse still was
not working.  On the following reboot, it was still not working....  The
sporadic on-again, off-again mouse failure issue is quite irritating,
but having two mouses on the desk is something I can put up with at
least for the short term.  But what's with the sporadic problems?
     I'm beginning to think that I may need to reformat the hard drive
and put in a squeaky-new install of 9.3 - that upgrading must leave so
much junk in the system that it doesn't know what to do with itself.  It
began as 9.0, was non problematically upgraded to 9.1 and now is acting
weird after the 9.1-to-9.3 upgrade.  One huge stumbling block is in the
way however - how do I back up Mozilla?  I know how to do it on W with
Netscape 4.7x, but haven't been isolate just where the InBox files, etc.
are with Mozilla.

Lyle