Re: [tlug] Linux-101

Matt Gross wrote:

>Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon said:
>

>>Another stupid question from Lyle:
>>

>Lyle, there's no such thing as a stupid question ;)
>

>>How do I mount my CD-ROM?
>>

>mount /dev/cdrom <mount_point>
>
>example
>
>mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

assuming that the mount point exists too...
mkdir <mount path>
mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom <mount path>
if you were using fedora3 u could use the default mount path
/media/cdrom or /media/cdrecorder...

>I've always been able to just access it, but
>

>>now I'm drawing a blank (nothing happens via File Explorer, etc. - I
>>click on CD-ROM and... nothing) and when I try to access a disk with
>>K3B, I get this error message:
>>
>>Could not mount device.
>>The reported error was:
>>mount: only root can mount /dev/cdrom on /media/cdrom

If you are running k3b as non-root, it will have problems with the
mount...a way to fix it, is, either run it as root, or temporarily give
write access to all for /dev/hd(number of yr cdrom block)...example,
chmod 777 /dev/hd1..not too secure, though...

>yes, you will need to be root to run the mount command unless you have
>sudo setup for your user.

HTH...and if I've said anything that is wrong, hopefully not, let me
know, as I'm still green myself..cheers.

Mark Sargent.