Re: [tlug] PPPoe (Hikari Fiber) connection from Linux (Ubuntu)

On 5/14/05, Jeff Co <hanzjordan@example.com> wrote:
> what's namespaces?

To get the scope of what I'm talking about read the paper I mentioned
yesterday: http://v9fs.sourceforge.net/glenorglenda.pdf

Basically, a name space is a private view of all your devices and
files on either a single machine or numerous machines across the globe
that you bind with. I can run one program similiar to xemacs called
acme that will allow me to handle files on any of the accessed systems
that I have an account with.

Currently, if I need more hard drive space I can just use one of the
several public servers at 9grid or a tip9ug as I require it. Actually,
come to think of it I could bind to Google as you mentioned for space
but I haven't tried it.

The nice thing about all of this is that it all appears as a single
filesystem vice having to use separate programs like ftp, or ssh to
view branches of separate filesystems. That's is one reason I prefer
name spaces, I can grow a single filesystem to meet my needs and it
all appears seamless.

Btw with name spaces on Linux (with Plan 9 port installed) or Inferno
or Plan 9, you can bring ftp sites under your filesystem with use of
ftpfs. It's pretty nifty once you try it for youself. Seeing is
believing in this case.

The ideas in the paper that I mentioned aboved is about enabling Linux
with disruptive technology. Oh the thinks you can think. ;-)

-uva

-uva