Re: [tlug] A semi-related question

    >> Anyway, how do you recommend spelling "license" as in
    >> "licentious use of language"?

    ijw> I would recommend not spelling either licence or license as
    ijw> licentious, because it's neither a noun nor a verb and
    ijw> therefore spelling either that way would be wrong.

I would recommend noticing that the sentence I wrote doesn't parse
that way.  :-)

    ijw> On the other hand, I'm far more likely to get away with being
    ijw> rude or sarcastic about all three without them realising, so
    ijw> I suppose it's swings and roundabouts ;-)

Yup.  I knew I was making progress in Japanese when girls finally
started taking notice of my verbal license by whacking me with
barstools.