Re: [tlug] Wireless LAN - Signal strength seesaw

On Apr 1, 2005 2:42 AM, Daniel Quimper <dq@example.com> wrote:

> I have a problem with my Wireless LAN at home. It's use to work fine
> and fast until a few days ago.
>
> When I look at the signal strength, It goes up and down and up and down.
> The cycle take about 3 to 5 seconds.

I assume you have tried the obvious things, like:

- power-cycling the access point
- using NetStumbler (or iwlist[1] in scanning mode) on a different WLAN adaptor
- choosing a different channel that is *not* in use by your neighbours
- talking to the neighbours and asking them when they bought their
WAPs, if they have been having similar problems, etc. (This might show
a probably cause-and-effect, like your problems starting the day that
your neighbour bought her WAP. Or maybe the problem is some RF
interference, if the neighbours report similar problems.)

The signs point to your WAP or WLAN card being defective. See if you
can beg, steal, or borrow a different WAP to use for testing this
hypothesis.

Also, and this applies in both your specific case and the more general
LUG how-to-post case:

When asking for help, please include *all* applicable data! In your
case, this means:

- Specific manufacturer, model, and revision (if applicable) of both
your WAP and your WLAN card
- Operating system on which you are trying this (AFAIK, NetStumbler is
only a Windows / WinCE app, so I have made an assumption; I might be
wrong)
- Specifics on any experiments that you have carried out (you did well here)
- Relevant data on your environment (again, you did well here,
supplying the channels that are in use by neighbours' WAPs)

Cheers,
Josh

[1] wvlist is part of Jean Tourrilhes's wireless-tools package:
      http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Tools.html