[tlug] Wireless LAN - Signal strength seesaw

Hi,

I have a problem with my Wireless LAN at home. It's use to work fine
and fast until a few days ago.

When I look at the signal strength, It goes up and down and up and down.
The cycle take about 3 to 5 seconds.

After some googling on the matter. I though I'm was having interference
 from my neighbors WLAN and that I needed to change my channel settings.
 From my appartment, I can see 3 WLAN plus mine. They are using
channel 1,6 and 11. I notice that the signal strength of the
WLAN using the channel 11 is quite low. So, I choose to put my
WLAN on that channel too.

But that didn't fix my problem. I downloaded a tool called: NetStumbler

http://www.netstumbler.com/

That tool puts my WLAN card in listening mode and display all the
networks around with a graph of the signal strength according to
time. Looking at those graph, I see that my neighbors' signals are
steady, but mine seesawing. It gradualy become stronger for about
3 sec and then drop to zero abruptly. This cycle repeats over and over.

I do not beleive that the problem is cause by some other appliance
in my house or my neighbors. Because it would affect everyone's
WLAN, not just mine. Plus if I bring my computer with the Wireless
card right beside the Wireless access point, the problem remains.

All the 4 networks are 802.11b.

Any idea on what could be my problem and how I can fix it?

dan...
--
Daniel Quimper ing.
dq@example.com