Re: [tlug] printer won't print (was: Re. SuSE/Libranet/Panther friendly laser printer)

What I saw ( http://cweb.canon.jp/drv-upd/lasershot/linux/captlinux.html
) looked good. The driver for the Canon LBP-1210 was for TurboLinux and
Red Hat, not SuSE 8.2 (which I'm using); but I thought if it was OK for
RH it would be OK for SuSE 8.2 as well. It needs CUPS 1.1.17 (1.1.19
recommended), and I hadn't (and haven't) a clue what version I have --
How would I find out? -- but I thought I'd take the chance.

Peter,
This may not be a whole lot of help, but i have the same printer working with Fedora Core3 beautifully.
I tried to get it to work with gentoo and because i had previously been able to pull apart the okidata (Mups)
drivers and get a mircoline 50-hu working with gentoo and debian, i was very confident that i could
do the same with the canon rpms. But the CAPT daemon seems to make the whole thing a little
more complicated. Still, i think with a little time i could get it to work.
I previously had a big rant in here about how much i hate rpms, and i always did. I also hated FC2,
I installed it once and it was one headache after another. However installing FC3 has been a whole new
experience. Everything just works, including all the japanese input stuff. .... and of course the Canon Capt
drivers. Sorry, but my fix is to install FC3, and i never thought i would say that to anyone.
... and buying the other model wouldn't have changed anything as it uses the exact same drivers.
if you want a canon laser printer that doesn't use Capt then you need to shell out an extra 10man.
The
Canon LBP-1210 is a 17,000yen laser printer that works with linux.... quite impressive i think
.. and the Microline 50hu is a dot printer that works great for around the same money. The okidata people were also very
helpful when i contacted them a few questions i had.

Let me know if there is anything else i can tell you

Patrick