Re: [tlug] Japanese TV + Radio Tuner Card

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:10:48 +0900, Christopher SEKIYA <wileyc@example.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 12:27:55PM -0800, Pawel Szymczykowski wrote:
>
> > That's for the linux part, I assume. How about tuning Japanese
> > stations? Would I be able to do that with a tuner card bought in the
> > USA, or is this referring to a Japanese tuner card with that chipset?
>
> It will work.  Research how programmable PLLs work in a radio receiver to
> understand why it will work.

Well, I tried - honestly I did. It's a bit over my head though. Is the
basic idea that the divider can be programmed to scale the reference
crystal up or down to arbitrary frequencies? I've always been a
trial-and-error type learner, so I'll just assume that it should work
and give it a go.

I've ordered a cheapo tuner
(http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ttom878a) using bt878 and
will fiddle around with it. If anyone is interested, I'll let you know
how things went when and if I get this thing deployed in Japan.

Thanks for the advice!

--
Pawel Szymczykowski